Rethinking The Smoothie

Dateline: 5 August 2007

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


Everyone loves smoothies. If you don’t know what a smoothie is, here is the current definition from Wikipedia:

A smoothie is a blended, chilled, sweet beverage made from fresh fruit and fruit juices which is blended with crushed ice, frozen fruit, or frozen yogurt. They have a milkshake-like consistency which is thicker than slush drinks, but unlike milkshakes, they do not usually contain cow's milk or ice cream.

Yesterday I tried a smoothie experiment. I took three fresh, juicy peaches (less the pits) and blended them with a small bunch of beet greens and just enough cold water to make it all mix (maybe ¼ cup). The resulting blend, pictured above, was an unappealing mud-like color. But it had a sweet earthy flavor that was downright good.

Later in the day I made a smoothie using three peaches and four large kale leaves. The drink was a bright green color. Not your typical smoothie. But, again, very tasty.

Today, I’m going to make a Swiss Chard and peach smoothie.

I’m excited about these new raw green smoothies. They are simple, easy and fast to make, and chock full of nutrition.

Try blending some fresh fruit with some fresh greens and you’ll see what I mean.



4 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been visiting your blog for a couple weeks now. It's my new favorite and I read every chance I get. I know you get this a lot, but wow! What enjoyable reading! Believe it or not, the first post I read was about maggots (after googling "grow your own chicken feed")- I've been hooked ever since. Disturbing? Prehaps.
This year I tried my first green smoothies (smoothie salads?), too. We took fresh oak leaf lettuce and blended it with frozen bananas and a little honey. Fantastic. You should have seen the looks on the kids faces.
Sorry to hear your land-lending neighbor is moving. Should you join the rest of folks fleeing NY, you should check us our here in SE Missouri! You'd fit right in with our growing rural community, all of whom homeschool, most of whom are of the agrarian persuasion and all are loving the Lord with all they have.

~Kaleesha~
homesteadblogger.com/awaitinghiskingdom

Herrick Kimball said...

Hi Kaleesha,

Thank you for your kind words about this blog. I always appreciate the positive feedback.

As for the lettuce, bannana, and honey smoothie... great idea. I'll have to give that a try.

Missouri sounds like a nice place to live, and the thought of going there has crossed my mind more than once. But the thought of moving to Maine, Tenesee, Kentucky, Virginia, and North Carolina, and even Alaska, have crossed my mind too. :-)

Best wishes,

Herrick Kimball

Kelly said...

Wow! You were so ahead of your time. Either that you are the one who started the Green smoothie craze. Neat-oh!

Kelly said...

+ or*