Getting Started & Finding My Way
(Part 10)

This is part 10 in a series of essays about when I was a young man (30+ years ago) trying to figure out how to “make it” in the world. Click HERE to go back to the beginning of the series.

###

It was early in the summer of 1977. I needed a job. I had no prospect of a job. I had tried to sell Shaklee door-to-door but failed miserably. There was only one thing left to do.

I decided to join the military.

I really didn’t want to join the military but I had no money, no car, no job, no nothing. There was no other option.

My Grassroots Project school buddy, Joe Miller, from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware was a surfer. There was a Coast Guard station near where he lived and he had told me what a great group of guys were in the Coast Guard. So I decided that the Coast Guard was for me.

My mother went with me to visit the recruiter in Syracuse, NY. We listened to his spiel. I took a short test. We went home to think about it. I was pretty sure I would join the Coast Guard.

When I got home I wrote a letter to my friends Bruce and Patty Womer back in Vermont. I told them about not having a job. I told them I was going to join the Coast Guard.

Within a few days I had a letter from Patty. She told me I was welcome to come back to Vermont and stay with them while helping to renovate the big old dormitory building. It was a big job that would take all summer. She wrote that Bruce really could use my help again. She also wrote that Bruce didn’t think I should join the Coast Guard.

Well now, that was a ray of sunshine in my dark little world. I was needed! Bruce needed me. The Womers were great folks. I didn’t have to give any thought to this opportunity. I would get myself back to Craftsbury Common ASAP.

The only problem was that I had a girlfriend (now my wife, of 27 years). I would miss her. But we knew from my year at school in Vermont that absence makes the heart grow fonder. Besides, it would only be a couple months.

Thinking back on those days of separation, it is interesting to note that Marlene and I did not have cell phones or e-mail to keep in touch. And phone calls were very rare. What we did was write letters to each other. Almost every day we wrote to, and received a letter from, each other.

My school friend, Ed Bais, from Cleveland, Ohio, called me to say he was borrowing his sister’s car and heading back to Craftsbury Common for a fiddler’s contest. Did I want to go? What timing! That’s how I got back to Vermont.

Before I left, I visited the Coast Guard recruiter again. I told him I wanted to enlist but I had a job in Vermont for the summer. I would be back in the fall and enlist then. I signed some papers but didn’t commit myself completely. Bruce Womer’s admonition was in my mind.

To be continued...
Click HERE to go to Part 11 of this series

No comments: