The Bark of The Bog Owl

Dateline: 22 June 2005

Reading books aloud to your children is a wonderful family pastime. By reading the right books, you can convey important moral lessons. I enjoy reading to my boys and they sure do enjoy being read to. But, truth be told, I do not do this often enough.

I was convicted (once again) of this sorry shortcoming on my part a few weeks ago after attending the yearly homeschool convention in Syracuse, New York. Marlene and I have gone to this event for many years (I wouldn’t miss it!), and every year I come away feeling like I have really fallen short of the mark when it comes to being a good father. But, on the flip side of the coin, I also get energized and inspired to be a better father. And I buy books. I’m always buying books.

One of the speakers at this year’s conference mentioned
The Bark of The Bog Owl, a book that he was then reading to his younger sons. He said they were all enjoying it very much. So I bought a copy.

Last night I finished reading this book to my two youngest boys (ages 11 and 14). I can tell you, without the slightest hesitation, that this is a great little book. My boys loved it and so did I. In fact, David, the 14 year old, told me he plans to read it again on his own.

The story takes place long ago in the island kingdom of Corenwald. The main character is 12-year-old Aiden Errolson. Aiden’s father is one of the nobles of Corenwald. Aiden spends his days tending his father’s flock of sheep (they are Agrarians!) and imagines himself doing brave deeds for the king (King Darrow) and the kingdom, just as his father did in years past when Corenwald was attacked by the Prythens, an ungodly people that vastly outnumber the Corenwalders.

Well, the Prythens try a new ploy to overtake Corenwald and Aiden gets his chance. I’ll not tell you what he does and the many adventures he has along the way. Suffice it to say that young Aiden’s noble character and his faith in “The One True God,” are what gives him the conviction and courage to do the right thing when faced with difficult decisions, even if it means losing his life as a result. Furthermore, young Aiden always does what is right even when it is not the popular thing to do.

The story has plenty of action and suspense, and humor too. It holds your attention and the end of every chapter leaves you wanting to know what happens next. The chapters are short, the story line easy to follow and there are no witches or magic or otherworldly creatures.

If you have young sons (or grandsons, get this book and read it to them. They’ll love you for it.

Oh, one more thing..... this book is the first of what is called The Wilderking Trilogy. The second book, The Secret of The Swamp King, will hopefully arrive in my mailbox soon. The third book has not yet been written.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YES! We read this about 6 months ago. My father brought it for his grandkids. It is WONDERFUL. Emelie (8) kept comparing it to David & Goliath and tried to second guess what would happen next.

In fact, after they finished the book, my father sent them tattoos of the crest and they wore them on their biceps until I could finally scrape away the remains 2 weeks later.

We are looking forward to the next two after we finish the rest of the Narnia series!