My Father's World On Father's Day

Dateline: 19 June 2005

Today is Sunday and it is also Father’s Day, 2005. As is our custom, Marlene and I and our three boys went to church. One of the hymns we sang was This is My Father’s World, written by Maltbie D. Babcock.

I know I have sung this hymn in church before, but today I noticed the words like never before. I leaned over to Marlene and wispered in her ear that I thought it was a beautiful song. She nodded in agreement and told me it is one of her favorites. And then she reminded me that it was one of the songs she selected to be sung at her father’s funeral. I did not remember.

I have printed the words of this song below. They speak of the Glory of the Soverign Father expressed through His creation. Here's wishing you and yours a wonderful Father's Day...


This is my Father's world,
and to my listening ears
all nature sings and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world:
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, of skies and seas,
his hands the wonders wrought.



This is my Father's world,
the birds their carols raise,
the morning light, the lily white,
declare their Maker's praise.
This is my Father's world:
he shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear him pass;
he speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world,
O let me ne'er forget
that though the wrong seems oft so strong,
God is the ruler yet.
This is my Father's world:
the battle is not done,
Jesus, who died, shall be satisfied,
and earth and heaven be one.

6 comments:

Authentic Farmer said...

Herrick.

AMEN and great blog. Just started myself not long ago. www.noblecalling.blogspot.com

Love your themes and agree whole heartedly! Many blessings, and I'll stay tuned!

JM

Herrick Kimball said...

Hi JM

I have been to your Blog. I like it very much. In fact, there is already a link on The Deliberate Agrarian to your Blog! Anthisis in Agriculture. Right?

Best wishes,

Authentic Farmer said...

Yes, Herrick, you got it correct.

Loved the bull story to!

JM

Wheeler MacPherson said...

The first hymn I memorized after I became a servant of Christ was "This Is My Father's World." It has a definite "tug" for me.

Have you ever noticed that in "The Lord Of The Rings" soundtrack, the music played when Frodo and Sam are together is very, very close to the melody line of "This Is My Father's World?"

Leenie said...

One of my favorites, along with "He Leadeth Me." I sing it often with my children. I really needed to be reminded today that this is, indeed, my Father's world and all that is in it. He is in control even when all evidence of my senses seems to be to the contrary. I can trust Him completely.

William Boyd said...

Hear it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIBNWZmb6y8