Mother's Day Reading

Dateline: 12 May 2013

My great great grandmother's life as a farm wife was not easy....

A little over six years ago I established the web site, Diary of an 1892 Farmer's Wife. It presents one year of entries from my great, great grandmother's line-a-day diary. It doesn't take long to read through the whole year of entries and if you do you will get a glimpse into the life of a farmer's wife 121 years ago. 

This morning I had notice of a comment left at the web site by a woman who had read my great great grandmother's 1892 diary entries, and I thought it worth sharing here:

"Just a random place to say thank you for sharing this wonderful piece of history. I am enthralled with the stories of our American past, and although personally caught up in all the modern conveniences can appreciate the idea of a time when "simpler" did not mean "easier". At the end of the day, these ancestors gained satisfaction from the work they did, which was almost exclusively the work of home and family. Today the "busy-ness" of life mostly has to do with non-essential tasks. I can't imagine the work involved in laundry, cooking, and planting as they did then, but know that I would have gone to bed glad for the rest. Thanks again for sharing your families history."

If you are a wife and mother, I think you will especially appreciate Josephine Jordan's diary.

2 comments:

Lynn Bartlett said...

It's amazing to me how much family history you have available to you. I would have loved to have had some of that from my family -- especially my Grandma Anderson, because she did what am currently doing. I just finished my daily job of washing milk bottles, and that was one of the jobs my Grandma did for their dairy. Her job was more complicated, though, as they had no running water.

I plan to take time to read the 1892 diary soon. Thanks so much for reminding me that it's available online.

Matt B said...

Welcome back to (semi)regular blogging. I've enjoyed your "Blogozines" for the time but I enjoyed your others more so. I look forward to more entries under the Faith, Christian Agrarianism, Family & Livin' The Good Life categories if you are so inclined.

Thanks,
Matt