Morning
Mug o' Lettuce

Dateline: 16 July 2013




July is a great month for juicing. The garden is bursting with greens. 

It is a down-to-earth pleasure to sip a mug of fresh-juiced fruits and vegetables, while sitting in my Adirondack chair (made it myself), on the back patio, first thing in the morning.

That lovely green drink you see was made with romaine lettuce, chard, carrots, apples, lemon and ginger. Marlene made nearly a half gallon to enjoy through the day, but it is best when fresh.

As for the cat, she is Momma, a stray that showed up here a couple years ago, pregnant. We kept one of the kittens and named her Baby. Momma and Baby are great mousers (and chipmunkers), but they also catch and kill birds (which is upsetting).

Here's wishing you pleasant July mornings with a mug of some drink that you enjoy....

5 comments:

timfromohio said...

I love greens and salad, but if I were sitting with you it would be a big mug of coffee!

Greatly enjoying your new book.

Best Regards,

TimfromOhio

Herrick Kimball said...

Hi Tim,

And that would be just fine. I had my morning cup of coffee awhile after the green drink. Coffee my not have the live enzymes and nutrition, but it is still a necessity in the morning. :-)

Thank you for the positive feedback on the book.

HK

Unknown said...

Thanks Herrick....back at you. God is good.
Shannon

The Midland Agrarian said...

Herrick,
I have been reading your blog for years. I think the world of you. I Love your books. I like vegetables too, but seeing that cup of steamed lettuce and even thinking about drinking it makes me kind of sick!

Your friend,

Richard Grossman

Herrick Kimball said...

Richard,

That's funny. I can relate to your reaction because I used to feel the same way. My wife and my mother tried to get me to drink carrot juice for years. I wouldn't have anything to do with it.

The thought of eating a liquified carrot did not appeal to me at all. Then one day, after more badgering (just try it.... pleeeease?), and in a moment of weakened resistance, I took a sip.

It was good. I was hooked.

Carrot juice is a "gateway" juice. Greens and cucumbers and various mixtures come next. And hard-core juicers "drink" raw beets. Mmmmm.... good!

It's not steaming. I need to make that clear. It's cold and frothy on top. We usually add ice cubes.

And it's really good for you. Jack Lalane said so, and that guy was amazing. :-)

Thanks for the comment.