Dateline: 29 July 2015
|Not everything I plant in my garden is a success!|
After last year’s successful Four-Day Carrots gardening experiment, I decided to repeat the process this year. But instead of getting the carrot bed planted on July 6th, it was July 11 before I got around to making the tri-plantings. And since I didn’t have any vermiculite to put over the pinches of planted seed, I used peat moss. Then, I got sidetracked with the demands of life and forgot to lift the shade discs until nine days after planting!
By then, the seedlings had emerged and grown long and leggy, trying to get to sunlight from under the shade discs. To make matters worse, instead of raising the shade discs for a day or two over the newly-emerged seedlings, I completely removed them. The hot summer sun baked the seedlings and most of them died, as you can see in the picture above.
It was a powerfully discouraging outcome, and I set to making it right ASAP.
I re-cultivated each tri-planting, replanted some seeds, and covered with fine vermiculite (the best thing I know of to cover a planted seed with). At four days, I checked under the shade discs and there were no seedlings showing. The next morning (July 26), they were showing. Five-Day carrots. Good enough. I raised the shade discs and this is what the bed looked like as of last night.
So I’m back on track with the carrots, and need to get another bed started.
In case you're wondering, they are the Bolero variety. Excellent storage carrots!
In other garden news, you may recall my 11-Day Parsnips post from May of this year. I was pretty excited to have parsnip seedlings emerge only 11 days after planting under shade discs. Then I showed My Parsnip Bed in June. The parsnips were off to a great start. Well, here is the same bed now, in July...
|Herrick's parsnip bed in July |
(Kennebeck potatoes to the left)